With spring slowly starting to shape up, we are excited to move our Active Walking classes outdoors as of Wednesday May 1st!
Whether you’re an avid walker and have your own poles or have never walked with poles before, come on out for some fresh air and exercise. Our certified Urban Poling Instructors can teach you the proper technique, and poles are available for use during every walk.
What is Urban Poling? Urban poling combines similar upper body techniques of cross country skiing with the lower body techniques of regular walking.
Benefits of Urban Poling
- Full body workout & strengthening of core muscles
- Burns 20-47% more calories than regular walking
- Increases cardiac workload (10-15 more heart beats per minute than regular walking)
2. Stability and Walking
- Takes stress off of your hip, knee & ankle joints
- Improves balance and stability
- Increases confidence when walking
- Improves coordination and helps to prevent falls
- Helps maintain and correct posture
- Increases walking speed
- Makes going up and down hills easier
- It has been clinically recommended to aid people with osteoporosis and arthritis
If you’d prefer not to use the poles, that’s “ok” too. We’re still very happy to have you walk with us! Feel free to contact Abby at [email protected] for more information.